Veenenveld trial garden (under construction)
The Future Plants trial garden is situated in Lisse, at the heart of the flower bulb region. We are working on the new trial and production field that we hope to open in June 2023.
Our trial areas will show clients and potential customers our different varieties in a beautiful garden setting.
Growers, sales people, retailers and wholesalers can get acquainted with new varieties, but also varietes and species with long histories as reliable additions to naturalistic plantings.
With more than 200 different types of perennials and ornamental grasses this is a place to get aquainted with the growing habits, blooms, and year round silhouettes of the various selections.
Please contact us to make an appointment to visit our show garden during office hours.
Unfortunately it is not possible for private individuals to visit our show garden
Veenenveld historyThe Future Plants trial field 'Veenenveld' is located in the aerea of the former country estate 'Veenenburch'. The road 'Veenenburgerlaan' and the canal, 'Veenenburgervaart', are reminders of this 17th century estate.
Before 1842 the estate was owned by the Leiden textile manufacturer Johannes Leembruggen. In 1842, during the construction of the railway line between Leiden and Haarlem, he had stipulated that a station would be built near his country estate. Whenever he was standing out on the platform, the train had to stop and take him to Leiden.
In 1899, Arnoud Hendrik, baron of Hardebroek van Ammerstol, acquired the estate. Initially, the baron lived in the house, but around 1915 he had a large house built on the edge of the Haarlemmerhout. He had big plans for the Veenenburch and together with the landowners of the adjoining estates he founded in 1902 the 'Coöperation for exploitation of the lands Veenenburg / Elsbroek'. In the meantime, the baron had acquired a patent in Germany to manufacture of sand-lime bricks and in 1904 the sand-lime brick factory 'Arnoud', of which the baron became director, started production. The factory used, among other things, sand as a raw material, that was available in sufficient quantities. All of the country estate got developed and as the grounds were excavated they got transformed into first class bulb grounds.
The estate finaly was demolished in 1913.